Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The New And Exciting Spring Break Destinations of 2009

This has been the most dull month ever. Other than the fact that I turned 20 and am now officially over the hill and checking for grays every morning, not a whole lot has changed. I had spring break, though, and it was pretty crazy. So, it was only fair to humanity as a whole to document my experience.

Day 1: Saturday, March 7, 2009.

This was the first actual day of spring break. And my birthday. So, naturally, I celebrated both in the most natural way ever. I went to Applebee's with my parents and got a haircut. If that's not a party, I don't know what is.

Day 2: Sunday, March 8, 2009.

This was a big day. First, I slept until about 2:00PM. I had originally planned on getting up around 11:30 or so, while my parents were at church so we could all do brunch together or something. But I wasn't quite that selfless at 11:30 and consoled myself by sleeping for another hour and a half. After I actually did get up, I had a bowl of cereal and piece of pizza. Again, I probably should have gotten up for brunch. But there was no time to wallow in my malnutrition--there was a SuperNintendo calling my name in my brothers' room. Apparently, my mom has been playing Super Mario Brothers every night since the middle of January, but that was not the game for me. No, I am the expert at the classic game of Donkey Kong 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. Basically, Donkey Kong got kidnapped by Captain K. Rool (get it?) and it's up to his little brother Diddy and Diddy's girlfriend Dixie to rescue him. Dixie can do this awesome flying ponytail move. So I did that for a couple of hours.

Days 3 and 4: Monday, March 9, and Tuesday, March 10, 2009.

Monday and Tuesday kind of blend together. I'm pretty sure that I did the same things on both days, but I can't recall just what I did. I'm also pretty sure that I was in my pajamas all day. I even put them back on after a shower. All I know is that Monday and Tuesday included a lot of sleep, a lot of ER, and more Donkey Kong.

Day 5: Wednesday, March 11, 2009.

I was productive on Wednesday! Well, moderately productive. I still wore my pajamas all day, but I did things other than play Donkey Kong all day. My mom's birthday was coming up (March 15), and I was actually making her something. Craft time! Unfortunately, the messy crafts that were cute fifteen years ago are kind of just pathetic when you're twenty. I am apparently incapable of cutting in a completely straight line. Don't judge me. It's harder than it looks. I also learned the merits of speakerphone.

Day 6: Thursday, March 12, 2009.

This is when my break really started to spice up, and not just because I finally put real clothes on. I was going on a spring break road trip, so that was kind of normal for a kid my age. And for those who don't know, going to New Jersey and Harrisburg, PA with your parents is the new cool for spring break. Yes, I embarked on a trip to visit the rest of my family. Thursday was nice, though. We drove out to New Brunswick, NJ to visit my big brother. We actually got along! I think he was just happy that I hadn't broken the Super Nintendo. He would never forgive me. No joke. But it was nice.

Day 7: Friday, March 13, 2009.

On Friday, we left New Jersey to head down to Harrisburg to visit my family. My whole family.
We got to stay in a hotel, though, which was good. Less stress for everyone involved.

Day 8: Saturday, March 14, 2009.

My cousin, one of the brattiest children that I will hopefully ever meet, was being confirmed on Saturday, and we were out to watch it. I'm telling you, no spring break is complete without a two-hour Catholic church service that started with a fifteen-minute version of "We Didn't Start The Fire," using all saints' names. But my biggest brother and his girlfriend drove over from DC, so it was good to see them. It was practically Palm Beach. But after confirmation, we went to a reception for my cousin where almost all of the relatives on my dad's side of the family were. I recognized about four of them. But my other, more well-balanced cousins were there, so it wasn't bad. And I won a pot of flowers, so really, the trip was worth it.

Day 9: Sunday, March 15, 2009.

The drive back. We left early on Sunday morning, having said goodbye to the grandparents on Saturday and thankfully sparing me the task of trying to be loving before noon. It was a fairly fast trip home, and it was nice (for Cleveland) when we got back, so I tried not to focus too intently on the fact that I had a 9AM class the next day. But it was my mom's birthday, and we had a nice dinner for her. She also loved my crafty gift, which made me very happy. I do kind of hope, though, that if she shows it to other people, she does not mention that I made it at the age of 20. 4 or 5 sounds a little bit less pathetic.

Monday, March 16, 2009.

Back to school. I hated every single person that I saw with a tan or highlights or a new STD. They all had more exciting spring breaks than I did. Although none of them probably won a flower pot. So I guess, in that one way, I was the overall winner.

Not really.


ORIGINALLY POSTED: APRIL 3, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment